In case you missed it, here’s the latest update from the Weekly Member’s Email:
Firstly, thanks to everyone for abiding by the latest Covid restrictions. Queensland Health has now confirmed that from 12.00noon today until Midday Thursday 15th April all Queenslanders must carry a face mask with them at all times when they leave their home. You must wear a mask when indoors.
At the Club:
- it is compulsory that all patrons wear a mask when entering the Golf Shop, Clubhouse, Locker Rooms and toilets until Thursday 15th April unless you have a lawful reason not to
- If you are sharing a motorised cart with a person who does not live with you, both people must wear a mask
- You must maintain social distancing, 1.5m
- If you are unable to maintain social distancing when outdoors, wear a mask.
- You must be seated to consume food or drinks
- You must sign in to the venue using the QR Code – we will be phasing out our QR Code and will only have the Queensland App QR code available. Please ask staff if you need assistance downloading the Queensland App.
- These rules apply to everyone over the age of 12
While we are on Covid restrictions, I have been asked by a number of members why we aren’t allowed to remove the flagstick, why we don’t have rakes in the bunkers and why we don’t have NTP’s as other golf clubs in the Region allow these things. Below is part of an email from Golf Australia that was sent to all golf clubs in Australia explaining the current rules. As you can see from this email, we are following the law. Other Clubs may decide to run the risk of being fined and not follow the law but we are not prepared to take that risk.
Flagsticks, rakes, NTP’s and scorecards
As you are aware in Queensland, the current rules around ‘shared equipment’ ( flags, rakes, NTP’s) are State Government regulations and not simply GA recommendations.
We are in constant contact with the relevant government departments about these restrictions. As a large number of sports are effected, they will not make an exception for golf within the Industry Covid Safe Plan.
It is our hope that there will be changes to the Covid Safe Plan regarding shared equipment will take place soon.
Under current QLD law the golf club must conform with two (2) Industry Covid-19 Safe Plans.
The Industry COVID Safe Plan for Queensland Hotels and Clubs and the Industry COVID Safe Plan for Outdoor Team Sports.
Under the Industry COVID Safe Plan for Outdoor Team Sports, a facility may choose to allow the removal of flagsticks, rakes in bunkers, NTP’s and score cards.
However, this shared equipment needs to be washed or wiped with antibacterial wipes or alcohol-based sanitiser prior to and after each use.
Most clubs find this unmanageable, especially small clubs, so they have adopted rules for the flag to stay in the hole. The Covid Safe Plans do not allow individual players an option.
Further, under current laws, if the club did allow flagsticks to be removed and did not provide for that equipment to be cleaned before and after each use, the club may be fined for not conforming to the Industry Safe Plan.